Having a ‘normal’ job | Diabet’Series

Hi, everyone! Another week ‘s started! And what a beautiful week it will be! Tomorrow’s my birthday – woohooo! I had completely forgotten about until this past weekend, but now, I’m really excited! But before celebrating, I want to talk about what having a ‘normal’ job has changed in my diabetic life.


I’d been working online for a year and half (longer even) and I’ve refused some interviews because I was really scared of how my life would yet again change. Working from home makes me feel safe. I have a routine. I eat exactly at the same time every day. I take my injections without even thinking about them. So, having a ‘normal’ job – by normal, I mean that it makes me go outside my house – would/has changed all this. The worst part is that I don’t have a fixed schedule. It changes every week and every day. On Monday I might not work, but then on Tuesday and Wednesday, I work all day. And on Thursday just in the morning and on Friday in the afternoon. And if this is this week, the next is completely different. The problem comes with measuring, eating and injecting – at the right times and in public.


I don’t yet feel comfortable to do my injections or to measure my glycaemia in public. I always imagine what everyone must be thinking about me and all those misconceptions about diabetes… I hate thinking everyone will think I just don’t take care of myself and that that is the reason why I need insulin. But I also know I need this to live, and I cannot not take my injection, or eat just because I feel uncomfortable. On my first day of work, I was so nervous that I forgot to eat as I was supposed to, and just started having an hypo in the middle of the classroom whilst talking to two students. One of those that make the world spin and my feet stop touching the ground… That’s when I truly realised, my health, my life comes first. And again, I will educate people on this, if asked. I can’t win them all, but I will give my best to explain what this is and means in one’s life.


The most difficult has been breakfast. I wake up and wait for about an hour to measure, inject and eat because now I leave the house much earlier than the time I’m supposed to have my breakfast. So, I have to do it in the work, going to work. It’s not ideal, I’m sure, but many – if not, all – of you have a job and a life, and if you can handle it, so will I.

Let me know if you have any tips on how to balance everything, especially now with different schedules every day.

Happy Monday, catreaders!

Chat away!