Hi, everyone! Welcome to a new week here on A Reading Cat! Today I’d like to discuss one of my favourite topics ever: organisation! Anyone who knows me knows I’m an organisational freak. I could organise anyone’s office/desk/closet as a day job. So, I thought why not make an entire post about it! I’ve always needed everything organised. I just can’t cope with messy environments… And I love writing down on a piece of paper everything I need to get done. So, yeah, organising is a big part of my life. And even though I have encountered some problems due to planning and organising a little too much, I still feel confident in saying that this has helped me more than not. So, here’s a list of things I do/did to get myself and my life organised:
1. I always plan my week in advance. Being a teacher, this is especially important because I need to prepare lessons. So, I always prepare lessons at least one week before. If I have appointments or events, I always write them down on my bullet journal where I keep weekly spreads to help me keep track of every task I have to complete.
2. I prioritize. If I need something done for tomorrow, I’ll do it first. I have a problem of being bored too easily though, so I like to perform several different tasks at the same time. Meaning: if I have a post to write, a lesson to plan and clothes to hang, I’ll do a bit of one and I stop and go do the other one, and come back to the first one and so on. This might not work for everyone but it does for me. I end up doing everything and faster than if I had just focused on one thing at a time.
3. I use post-its. For e.very.thing! I keep them in the kitchen, on my desk and in the bedroom. I have pens all around the house too, and in my bag, of course! (1. I’m a teacher. 2. I’m a “writer” – I always need something to write with and on!) Post-its help me with things I just know I won’t remember later, so I just scribble them down and stick them to the fridge or a door so I know I’ll see them and do it when I have the time. Once a task is complete, I throw the post-it away.
4. I have a list of things to get done around the house weekly, including shopping. We mostly buy the same things every week but I do make a list depending on what we’re running out of.
5. I also have a one-minute rule I adopted late last year. If it takes me less than a minute to do it, I do it! Simple. So, if I see trash in a room, most likely I’d think, ah, I’ll deal with that later. Now, I just throw it away immediately because it’ll take me less than a minute. Same goes for putting the shoes in the shoe bench, or the dishes in the dishwasher or putting away materials you’re finished using. It really works for a much more organised and balanced life, trust me!
And these are it. 5 main things I do and will keep doing to help me in my day-to-day life. Do you have any tips you’d like to share with me? Are you an overall organised person?